Saturday 16 August 2014

Done & Learned - Quilt As You Go - (I) A bit of theory

Today I introduce a new section on the blog:

where I intend to gather some of my  impressions after using one or another quilting method or technique. 

As you can see from the post title, this first issue is about QAYG because I promised to share with you what I have learned using this technique at the Spiral Quilt.
This is the first post out of two dealing with the subject: a bit of theory based on practice.
 A short definition:
 QAYG (Quilt As You Go)  is a technique used to make up a quilt by sewing together a few small quilt units or by quilting along with the piecing process.
Why to use QAYG?
In my case: because I have problems keeping together the three layers of the quilt while I am machine quilting it. I use a home sewing machine (Brother Innovis 50) both for piecing and quilting and it is very difficult to manoeuvre a big quilt under its arm. 
 

So I started reading more about QAYG, thinking that maybe I will find some solutions by changing my piecing-quilting methods.
As a few years ago I did an exercise making a quilt using one method of this technique, I knew something about it and I needed an update only.
But after reading and watching a lot of tutorials, the things began to mix up in my head and I had to organize the information.

So in my opinion there are at least three main categories of QAYG methods:

1. Strips joining (sashed)

 source



Described here, here, here, here, here and also here.



2. Direct joining (un-sashed)




Described here, here, here, here, here, here and also here.
 
3. Batting piecing 

source

Described here, here, here, here, here, here and also here.

I didn’t want to theorize the things excessively by giving my own description too to each category.
My point of view is based on the Internet tutorials shared by their authors for free. It’s not an exhaustive study.
I illustrated each category selecting the quilters whom quality of explanation or/and creative manner of using that method are appreciated.
I hope you will find this post useful, not boring!  
In the next one I will briefly share my own experience applying QAYG technique.

 

Have a beautiful day! 

I am linking to Finished up Friday.




 


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for all the links, Mihaela. This is something I want to learn more about.

    ReplyDelete