Do you need a drawstring backpack?
My new pattern might help you to sew one or more.
This Lined Drawstring Backpack is a charming one, perfect for everyday use.
It has a stylish look and a practical structure. Its three large pockets (one exterior zippered pocket and two interior pockets) make it the perfect bag for school, sport and outings.
I've told you about it here and here.
The pattern consists of 28 pages of easy to follow instructions and 83 color photos and diagrams, plus printable templates if you want to applique a retro truck.
I'm sure you noticed in the photo above another applique - a name.
In order to personalize your drawstring backpack with monograms, names, words etc. you will receive together with the Lined Drawstring Backpack Pattern the set of 26 printable letters I used for the name that you see in the photo. About this set of letters you may learn more visiting my shop, from where it can be purchased as a stand alone pdf file.
Purchasing the Lined Drawstring Backpack Pattern you will get
RAW Alphabet Letters Template for free.
- suggestions about what fabrics to choose
- diagrams to help you cutting the needed pieces from the exterior fabric, interfacing and lining
- guidance for cutting and sewing two variants:
- one panel variant (if you use solids or non-directional print)
- two panel variant (if you use directional print)
- instructions for preparing and fusing the applique pieces
- suggestions for securing the applique edges
- detailed instructions to sew a zippered pocket on the front side of the backpack
- directions for attaching Velcro tape for closing the interior pockets
- illustrated instructions for preparing and attaching the cord loops
- tips about handling the directional fabric, the fusible web, how to give to the zippered opening of the exterior pocket an original look, and other useful information.
- truck design template
To make such a useful and modern drawstring backpack you will need:
- Exterior fabric
Variant 1 - if you use solids or non-directional print – about 20” (51 cm ) of 42"( 107 cm) wide fabric
Variant 2 - if you use directional print - two pieces 15" x 20" ( 38 cm x 51cm)
- Lining fabric - 42" (107 cm) of 42" (107 cm) wide fabric for lining and pockets
- one piece 25" x 33" for pockets
- if you use quilt cotton for the exterior drawstring backpack body:
- for variant 1- one piece 14 ½" x 41 ½" (37 cm x 105.5 cm)
- for variant 2 - two pieces 14 ½" x 20" (37 cm x 51 cm)
For applique - Optional
- Assorted fabrics - a few pieces - for the truck and letters
- Fusible web - 10"(25 cm) of 18" (approx. 46 cm) wide
Zipper - 7" (18 cm)
Cording - (2) 71"(approx.180 cm) about 1/4" (0.5 - 0.6 cm) thick
Twill tape - 6" (15.0 cm) of 1 " ( approx. 2.5 cm) wide - for 2 drawstring loops
Velcro tape - 2" (5 cm) of approx. 1" (2.5 cm) wide
Sewing thread to match the fabrics
Zipper foot - I recommend it but if you don't have it, you can use your regular sewing machine foot instead.
1 Safety pin
Water soluble pen
Either One Panel Variant or Two Panel Variant - stripe fabric - with zipper placed on top of the exterior pocket opening, with letters applique and hand sewn little embellishments.
Lined Drawstring Backpack Pattern is available in my shop at an introductory price until 20 February 2019 only.
Take advantage of this promotion!
Have a beautiful day, my dears!