Wednesday 13 February 2019

Lined Drawstring Backpack Pattern Sneak Peek

I am so happy when I have to make bags or pouches but it takes me a long time to choose the fabrics and almost every time I think I don't have the right ones. 
When designing a bag, first of all I think to be useful: to be spacious enough, but not too large, to have as many pockets as possible, placed as handy as possible, to be worn as comfortable as possible. After all these I look for the aesthetic aspects of the shape.
Two years ago, a friend asked me to sew two drawstring backpacks for her nephew. The only expressed wishes were: to have on them his name( Toma), the dimension - 13" x 17" (33 cm x 43 cm), and one of the backpacks to be lined.
This time I don't know why, all came to my mind so clearly and quickly: the colors, the customization idea, the inside organisation, the cord casing...
Finally they came out like that :

My Pickup Truck - unlined drawstring backpack
LinedDrawstringBackpackPattern-abeeautifulday.blogspot.com

and

My Truck - lined drawstring backpack 
LinedDrawstringBackpackPattern-abeeautifulday.blogspot.com

Instead of just laying down the letters over the background I created the designs of two toys that are near the boys hearts from generations, carrying the name of the child. 
First of all I had in mind that their pieces to be easy to cut and assemble, but I confess that I also wanted to give a vintage touch to the backpack . The cars and letters are raw edge applique having the edges secured with zig zag stitch and blanket stitch - easy and fast to do.The big exterior pocket of the lined backpack adds loads of room for all kind of things that have to be on hand. The zipper stitched on top of the pocket opening integrates so well into the layout of the backpack and is so decorative. Not to mention that it was so easy to sew it.

LinedDrawstringBackpackPattern-abeeautifulday.blogspot.com

The two inner pockets are so large that they are almost dividers. Velcro tape closures is added for extra security.

LinedDrawstringBackpackPattern-abeeautifulday.blogspot.com

For the name of the boy I used the 2" reversed letters templates from my RAW Alphabet Capital Letters Template that can be found here.

For those of you who would like to sew a so useful and modern drawstring backpack for your loved ones, I wrote a pattern full of illustrated instructions and tips.
Just a sneak peek for now:


LinedDrawstringBackpackPatternCover-abeeautifulday.blogspot.com


More about it in the next post.
Very soon.
Keep in touch!

Have a beautiful day, my dears!


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful, comfortable, in the next months I have to make one for my nephew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thist pattern came just in time, so cute, so useful! I have to make one for a little one!

    ReplyDelete