Monday 28 April 2014

The Shy Ada - a tutorial and a newsletter


From time to time, when I'm tired and I can't work, I return to my drawn little girls and boys.
Thinking of a shy little girl to whom I intend to make a gift, I drew Ada.  I appliqued it on a piece of fabric and I placed on its dress a pocket in which it keeps the teaspoon on hand for the little girl.




Then I used this piece of fabric to make the mug rug from above. But I wanted to make quilting appearing different on the two sides:  top and backing. 
As you may see, on the left side of the top I left room for cup or plate so that Ada is not covered by them.
Different quilting designs on the top and backing of the quilt-tutorial-abeeautifulday.blogspot.com

First I quilted the backing with the batting together, with waving lines parallel with the long sides.

 Different quilting designs on the top and backing of the quilt-tutorial-abeeautifulday.blogspot.com



Then I added the top with the stitched appliqué...

Different quilting designs on the top and backing of the quilt-tutorial-abeeautifulday.blogspot.com



 ...and I cross quilted with the same waved lines all the three layers together but only on the empty left half. 

Different quilting designs on the top and backing of the quilt-tutorial-abeeautifulday.blogspot.com
On  Ada’s half,  I stitched only one row with waves, along the edge of the 3 external sides. In the end, It appears as a discreet scalloped border because the waving is partially covered by the binding. 
 And so, in this simple way, I managed to make my mug rug to have a quilting design on the top:
Different quilting designs on the top and backing of the quilt-tutorial-abeeautifulday.blogspot.com

 ...and another quilting design on the baking:
Different quilting designs on the top and backing of the quilt-tutorial-abeeautifulday.blogspot.com


The Shy Ada free design is my gift for all my newsletter subscribers.

I think Ada would look great also on a girl’s pillow. Or maybe on a quilt, why not? If you need a larger design, print it at a larger scale.

Have a beautiful day!
Linking up to Linky Tuesday
 

3 comments: